Jump on It! Camp
An Athlete Development Camp for the Technical Elements Score
April 19-21, 2018
Broadmoor World Arena, Colorado Springs, Colorado
U.S. Figure Skating's Athlete Development Department is excited to announce the third camp dedicated to helping qualifying level athletes improve their technical elements score. Jump on It! is a two-day camp that will be focused primarily on jump exercises from some of the most prominent jump coaches, in addition to spins and skating skills, power and agility and off-ice classes focused on sports science and understanding the judges and technical panel's evaluations.
Athletes will be divided into groups of approximately 7-10 athletes of similar skill level and age and move through group classes. All athletes will have the opportunity to work with the entire faculty; all instruction will be in group format.
Coaches are strongly encouraged to attend. There will be a coaches track, in addition to coaches having the opportunity to observe their own students in several classes.
Parents are also welcome to attend; there will be a separate Parents' Education program.
This program is limited to a maximum of 100 athletes, in "tiers" based on their participation in the 2018 U.S. qualifying season (regionals, sectionals and/or U.S. Championships). Please see the registration section for details.
HOW CAMP WORKS
U.S. Figure Skating is responsible for the curriculum, faculty selection and program design. Athletes will be divided into teams of 7-10 athletes, by skill level and gender. They will stay with their team the entire weekend. The focus on the camp is developing core skills in the technical elements score - including jumps, spins, skating skills and sports science concepts.
Athletes will rotate through a series of on-ice and off-ice classes focused on those skills. For jump classes, the classes of 7-10 skaters will be organized by jump type (i.e., Lutzes, flips, Axels, etc.). Exercises for working on those skills will be demonstrated to the group, along with criteria for entrances, steps, etc. Athletes will demonstrate the jumps in small groups, receiving feedback with the group. Then athletes practice the jump on their own, while the instructor gives individual feedback.
Skating skills and all off-ice classes will be in group format with all athletes working together. Team USA athletes will be volunteering, demonstrating and working with athletes all weekend.
Faculty was selected for their expertise in their specific area and represents a variety of top coaches.
2018 Jump On It! Camp Athlete Information Guide
The registration fee for Jump on It!: The Technical Elements Score camp is $495 per athlete. The registration fee includes:
- Approximately 8 hours of on-ice group instruction
- Approximately 5 hours of off-ice instruction
- An opportunity to use "the Spinner" - a new technology in understanding air position and technique
- Lunch Friday & Saturday
- Parents Education track for any accompanying parents
- Two camp performance shirts
REGISTRATION PROCESS & QUALIFICATIONS
Click here to register.
Registration will open for Tier 1 on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. MT.
The registration deadline for all athletes is March 1, 2018, unless camp fills sooner. Registration will be in three Tiers:
- Tier 1: Athletes that competed singles at the 2018 U.S. Championships that earned at least one bonus point for a jump. Tier 1 athletes may register starting on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
- Tier 2: Athletes that competed singles at the 2018 Sectionals that earned at least one bonus point for a jump at the juvenile level or higher. Athletes that competed pairs at the 2018 U.S. Sectionals and/ or 2018 U.S. Championships. Tier 2 athletes may register beginning on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
- Tier 3: Athletes that competed singles at the 2018 Regional Championships that earned at least one bonus point for a jump at the juvenile level or higher may register beginning on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
COACHES EDUCATION TRACK
2018 Jump On It! Camp Coaches Education Track Information Guide
To register for the 2018 Jump On It! Coaches Education Track, click here.
Registration will open on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. MT.
Registration fee: $299 per coach.
Deadline to register: March 1, 2018
*May close sooner if capacity is reached.