USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
Susan Frobish knows her skating goals for the 2015-2016 skating season. Frobish, an adult skater from Champagne-Urbana, Illinois, wants to take the U.S. Figure Skating adult tests and compete in an adult competition.
Frobish will be one of many adult skaters participating in The Next Ice Edge Adult Skating Clinic Sept. 23-27 at the Carousel Hotel in Ocean City. Maryland where she hopes to learn many new skills to help her reach her goals. The Next Ice Age Dance Company on Ice founder and artistic director Nathan Birch and co-founder and choreographer Tim Murphy will direct the clinic.
"The Carousel Hotel is the perfect setting because the rink is right in the atrium of the hotel where everyone will be staying," Birch said. "We are all excited about this new venture which we hope will grow into an annual event."
Birch has been teaching adult master classes for more than 25 years.
"Those adult classes have been taught to hundreds of skaters and we got the inspiration from them to create our own three-day clinic," Birch said.
The clinic will include classes and presentations based on feedback on the skaters' website applications.
"Each skater will want different things and it is our aim to provide one hundred percent of the skater’s needs and desires," Birch said.
Besides Birch and Murphy, Ian Lorello and Jonathon Hunt will also join as instructors offering expertise in ice dancing and pairs.
"Our clinic is unique because it will offer everything each participant specifically wants," Birch said. "If the skater is unsure what direction they want to go in, we can design a personal curriculum just for them. It will also focus on informative education on the ice so the skaters will go home having truly learned new skills."
“I’m looking forward to improving my technique, working on some program ideas and learning some new skills,” Frobish said. “I come from an ice rink with just a few adult skaters. This clinic offers a wonderful chance to meet kindred spirits and share the joy of skating.”
Off-ice classes are planned as well, in addition to a welcoming wine and cheese party and closing island luau.
"Because everyone will be together at the same hotel we anticipate an organic camaraderie to evolve over the course of the clinic," Birch said. "My experience, especially with the adult skating community, is that everyone wants to enjoy themselves, skate, learn and meet new friends in an environment that encourages a positive spirit."
The clinic is open to all levels but participants should have their own skates and have skated prior to attending the clinic. Beginners are welcome as long as they have previously skated.
"What we are looking forward to is reuniting with old friends as well as meeting new ones, and sharing our knowledge with them," Birch said.
For more information on The Next Ice Age Dance Company on Ice and The Next Ice Edge Adult Clinic go to www.thenexticeage.org.
- Shining Starz: New Adult Theatre on Ice Team Wins Silver in Hyannis
- Center State Club Coach Rides 100 Miles to Raise Awareness for Child Safety
- Lights, Curtain...Skate: Club Shows Provide Skaters with a Lifetime of Memories
- Wisconsin Edge Coach Shares the Edge on Social Media Strategy
- Young Artists Showcase Inspires Aspiring Skating Choreographers
- Celebration of Sisters: Boston Skater Honors Sisters' Memories with a Special Ice Show
- Camp of Champions: Grassroots to Champions Camp a Popular Summer Destination for Skaters
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas