USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
by Joanne Vassallo Jamrosz, special to U.S. Figure Skating
The Exton Edge Figure Skating Club is proud to offer many programs to best meet the interests of their skaters. The club skates at Power Play Rinks which is a single sheet facility in Exton, Pennsylvania.
They offer a Club ice program and popular synchronized skating teams in addition to walk-on freestyle ice, a weekly high performance academy, monthly U.S. Figure Skating test sessions and a bridge program to introduce new members to the club.
"Edge skaters love synchronized skating because it allows them to participate in a team sport," said Synchronized Skating Coordinator Kate Blanchette. "Our club has worked very hard to build a proprietary synchro curriculum. Skaters not only learn the synchro elements in their program, they achieve success as a team and forge strong friendships while improving their individual skating skills. We do lots of team building exercises, have synchro buddies and cheer each other on."
The club has experienced a membership explosion over the past four years.
"We started as a Learn to Skate Basic Skills program with 15 freestyle skaters and have rapidly grown to 101 registered skaters as a U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned club," said Kate Simko, Assistant Executive Director.
"We attribute much of our growth from our synchronized skating program, which allows skaters to join the sport in an affordable manner."
The club is also proud of its unique Theatre on Ice Summer Camp.
"It is wildly successful and our skaters look forward to it all year," said Executive Director Zach Overholtzer. "It's a club favorite. The camp programming includes choreography, acting, skating costumes, sets, props and lots of fun on and off the ice. It all culminates in an hour long performance at the camp's conclusion."
Coaching Coordinator Lisa Huth believes it is the team coaching approach that allows the club to thrive.
"We have a strong camaraderie between our coaches and together we support the best interests of each skater. This approach is embraced by our families and it creates a wonderful, friendly environment for everyone. I love being a part of it."
The club's international team of ten coaches comes from England, Russia, Canada and the United States.
"They have each achieved accolades in their disciplines and now they bring their specialized training to our skaters," Huth said.
The club continually sponsors events to introduce their program to future skaters. For National Skating Month, Exton held an open house and a Bring a Buddy to Skate during a busy public skating session. Volunteers provided information and flyers at the club's booth and two of the club's synchro teams performed.
The club looks forward to a bright and successful future while continuing to grow the club and develop quality programs for Edge skaters. Exton plans to hold its first U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned competition in 2017 and field an adult synchronized skating team.
"Our mission is simple," Overholtzer said. "We provide excellent programs to encourage participation and achievement to figure skating. Exton Edge Figure Skating Club has worked very hard to develop a variety of quality programs to accomplish this goal."
Coaches and staff believe it is Exton Edge's warm family atmosphere, coaching staff and unique programs that draws new and experienced skaters to the club.
"We often hear that children in the rink's Learn To Skate program can't wait to become an Edge skater upon graduation," Simko said. "We welcome area skaters of all skill levels to join Exton Edge and be a part of something special."
- Meet the New Clubs: Mountain Edge Skating Club of Colorado
- Meet the New Clubs: Introducing The Skating Club of Jackson Hole
- The Next Ice Edge Welcomes Adults to Skating Clinic
- Shining Starz: New Adult Theatre on Ice Team Wins Silver in Hyannis
- Center State Club Coach Rides 100 Miles to Raise Awareness for Child Safety
- Lights, Curtain...Skate: Club Shows Provide Skaters with a Lifetime of Memories
- Wisconsin Edge Coach Shares the Edge on Social Media Strategy
- Young Artists Showcase Inspires Aspiring Skating Choreographers
- Celebration of Sisters: Boston Skater Honors Sisters' Memories with a Special Ice Show
- Camp of Champions: Grassroots to Champions Camp a Popular Summer Destination for Skaters
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas